Bonus/Lump Sum Reporting

Bonus/Lump Sum Reporting: Three Ways to Report

Bonus and lump sum payments made to employees are considered income and may be garnished to collect past-due child support. Examples include severance, vacation payouts, retirement incentives, commissions, awards, and payments as a result of verdicts.

Choose one of the options below to report these payments:

Report by e-IWO

The Electronic Income Withholding for Support Order (e-IWO) process enables states and employers to exchange information about IWOs electronically, which includes information about upcoming bonus or lump sum payments. This option provides employers with the fastest and most efficient method of sending information. To learn more, read the DCSS e-IWO Fact Sheet. To enroll, visit the federal e-IWO webpage.

Report by Employer Services Web Application

With this option, employers use the Employer Services Web Application to upload information about employees who are eligible to receive a bonus, lump sum or other type of payout. The California Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) will receive the information and, when appropriate, issue a Bonus/Lump Sum IWO via the employer's preferred method of transmission: fax, email, e-IWO, or USPS. For more information on how employers can participate in this quick and simple process, visit the Employer Services Web Application or email

Report by Phone or Email

Employers may report bonus or lump sum payments prior to payout by contacting DCSS at 916-464-6640 or If DCSS determines an IWO is appropriate, then it will issue a Bonus/Lump Sum IWO via the employers preferred method of transmission: fax, email, e-IWO or USPS.