Noncustodial Parent

Child Support Program services are for both parents—custodial parties and noncustodial parents (NCPs). NCPs can apply for services or ask to modify child support already ordered. Local child support agencies are an important resource for NCPs. By working closely with the local agency, NCPs can avoid or minimize issues that may arise regarding their child support case and/or child support payments.

Applications for service are available at the local office or may be downloaded from our websiteCompleted applications must be mailed or dropped off at the local child support agency office to be processed.

Under California law, NCPs are required to pay their court-ordered child support on time and in full. If you cannot meet the full obligation or cannot make the court-ordered payments contact the local child support agency as soon as possible to avoid or minimize any adverse actions that may be taken. Unpaid child support will still be owed—with interest.

Payment options (Opciones de Pago en Español):

Confirm with your local child support agency or family law facilitator if you are eligible to make a payment by one of the following options:

Pay online

    Electronic payments can be made online using your Visa card, MasterCard, checking account or savings account at Make a Payment

Pay by phone

Call 1-866-901-3212 (option 1). Electronic payments can be made using your Visa card, MasterCard, checking account or savings account.

Pay by Mail

If your case is managed by a Local Child Support Agency, you can mail a check or money order to: CA SDU, PO BOX 989067, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9067. If your case is a private case that is not managed by a Local Child Support Agency, call 1-866-901-3212 for assistance with making payments by mail.

Pay by Mobile App

Available for Android and iPhone, the CAChildSup mobile app lets you make electronic payments using your smartphone. Download the free CAChildSup app

Pay in Cash
  • Use MoneyGram at 18 retail stores. Find a location at or call 1-800-926-9400. To make a payment, you will need your California child support Participant ID number and Receive Code 14630. MoneyGram charges a $1.99 fee.
  • Use PayNearMe at 7-Eleven, Family Dollar and ACE Cash Express stores. Get a personal PayNearMe barcode on PayNearMe’s California child support page at or by contacting your local child support office at 866-901-3212. Present the barcode – either on a smart phone or on paper – to a cashier to be scanned at the counter. Reuse the barcode for future payments or get a new one, as needed. Find a PayNearMe location near you. PayNearMe charges a $1.99 convenience fee and guarantees payments.
Pay at a local child support office

Some local child support agencies accept cash and other forms of payment over the counter or at a kiosk. To find out which locations accept in-office payments, contact those nearest to you by calling 866-901-3212. Office addresses are available online at

Ask Questions

If you have questions about any of the payment options, please contact a child support professional by email from within Customer Connect or by phone at 1-866-901-3212.

Passport Rules

Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens who wish to travel to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean or Bermuda will need a passport. Parents who have a case with their local child support agency and who owe more than $2,500 in past due child support, will be denied issuance or renewal of a passport due to federal child support statutes that have been in effect since 1996.

To avoid denial of a passport application or renewal of an existing passport for the purposes of exiting the country, parents who owe more than $2,500 in past due child support should take steps to pay all past due child support as soon as possible. To reach your local child support office, call the statewide toll free number at 1‑866‑901‑3212 for assistance.