How Parents Can File a Declaration of Paternity for Their Child/Children

The cover sheet for the Declaration of Paternity (CS 909) provides important information for unmarried parents:

As a result of federal welfare reform legislation effective January 1, 1997, if the parents of a child are not legally married, the father's name will NOT be added to the birth certificate unless they:

  1. Sign a Declaration of Paternity in the hospital, or
  2. Sign the form later or legally establish paternity through the courts and pay a fee to amend the birth certificate.

Also, you will find answers to common questions, including:

  • What is the purpose of a Declaration of Paternity?
  • How will you and your child benefit if you sign this form?
  • What does it mean if you sign a Declaration of Paternity?
  • What should you do if you change your mind after you sign a Declaration of Paternity?

The cover sheet for the Declaration of Paternity (CS 909), along with a sample form, is available below:

Please check back later for the following translations: Russian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Hmong, Cambodian.

Important note: You must fill out and file the Declaration of Paternity on the official triplicate form available through your local child support agency or contact the POP Team.

Additional Information About the Paternity Opportunity Program

How a Declaration of Paternity Can Help You and Your New Baby

Establishing Paternity for You and Your Child

If you have any questions about how to file a Declaration of Paternity, please contact the POP Team.